About 20,000 Taycan models were delivered in the first half of this year alone, which is only slightly below the total for 2020 as a whole. That means the Taycan is also now on par with the iconic 911 in terms of sales, according to Porsche.
The Taycan is currently one of Porsche’s best-selling vehicles in North America, just behind the Cayenne and Macan.
Additionally, you will still enjoy up to 300 miles of range depending on the configuration you choose. But new technology will give the new Porsche Taycans the ability travel even a few more miles than that.
The 2022 Taycan and Taycan Cross Turismo are due to arrive at U.S. dealerships towards the end of this year. And they will feature a number of exciting upgrades.
In fact, Porsche says to be ready for some “extensive changes.” Of course, the Porsche Taycan and Taycan Cross Turismo are filled with cutting-edge technology. But one 2022 feature is reaching back to the past for its inspiration: a choice of exterior paint colors that are decidedly 1990s in appearance.
Let’s take a look at some of the changes in store for the Taycan models in 2022:
1. Batteries and electric motors will remain the same but the next generation Taycan’s electric powertrain offers improved thermal management and charging thanks to a Turbo Charging Planner that heats the battery to shorten charge times.
2. A new Remote Park Assist system, activated from inside the car or via an app on your smart phone, allows the car to enter or exit a parking space without a driver behind the wheel.
3. Android Auto now joins the infotainment system, and there’s a streamlined the satellite navigation system that aims to improve the overall driving experience. The voice assistant features has also been upgraded.
4. The Porsche “Paint to Sample” scheme offers 65 additional colors, including hues like Acid Green Rubystone Red straight out of the 1990s. Not into that ‘90s fantasy? Paint to Sample Plus option allows you to pick just about any hue you want.
5. The Voice Pilot voice assistant can now understand instructions in plain language – even better than it did before.
6. The satellite navigation system calculates more quickly while displaying its information more precisely due to enhanced graphics.
7. Within the display the Taycan now has five menu options instead of three on the left side of the central screen; icons can now be arranged individually.
Recently, Autoblog highlighted changes to the Taycan’s thermal management and charging functions, which have been further improved for 2022 as part of a series of changes to the drivetrain.
That means the Turbo Charging Planner allows the high-voltage battery to now be heated to a slightly higher temperature than before.
Therefore, fast charging is possible earlier – and at a higher charge level – further shortening the time it takes to charge. Moreover, excess heat from the electrical components is used to an even greater extent for battery temperature regulation, according to the Porsche newsroom.
Along with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto is integrated in the PCM for the 2022 Taycan. So, smartphones with the Google Android operating system are now also supported inside your new Taycan.
That means certain phone functions and smartphone apps can now be operated via PCM 6.0 or the Google Assistant Voice Commands.
But one of the more fun changes has to do with the exterior paint hues. Think early ‘90s. These candy-like eye-catching colors are sure to be a hit. Taycan is now also available with Paint to Sample and Paint to Sample Plus in addition to 17 standard paint colors, according to Porsche.
Paint to Sample, for instance, gives you a choice of 65 additional colors, including Acid Green, Moonlight Blue Metallic, Rubystar, Riviera Blue and Viola Metallic.
Paint to Sample Plus gives you almost complete freedom in your choice of color, even permitting you to match your Taycan’s exterior paint color to your favorite Porsche accessory.
Get ready! The 2022 Taycans will hit our showroom by the end of the year, starting at $82,700.