Sport Chrono Package for Porsche. You’ve heard of it. Maybe even purchased it. But what, exactly, is it?
In short, the Sport Chrono Package enables an ultra sporty tuning of the Porsche chassis, engine and transmission – allowing you to adapt your Porsche to the exact way you want to drive it.
According to Porsche, the key component of the Sport Chrono Package is the mode switch on the steering wheel. Without moving your hand from the steering wheel, you can choose any of the four settings: Normal, Sport, Sport Plus and Individual.
In combination with Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK or – in English – Porsche double-clutch transmission) the Sport Chrono Package gives you three additional functions, according to Porsche.
The first is Launch Control, which can be used to achieve the best possible standing start. The second function is the motorsportderived gearshift strategy. In this mode, PDK is geared up for extremely short shift times and optimum shift points for the maximum acceleration available. The third function is SPORT Response.
Pressing the button in the center of the mode switch primes the engine and transmission for the fastest possible unleashing of power, according to Porsche. In other words, you get maximum responsiveness for a period of 20 seconds. A timer graphic in the instrument cluster tells you how long is left.
The Sport Chrono Package also includes Dynamic Engine Mounts. The electronically controlled system minimizes the perceptible oscillations and vibrations of the entire drivetrain, particularly the engine, and combines the benefits of a hard or soft engine mounting arrangement. In short, it enhances both driving stability and driving comfort.
The Sport Chrono Package now also includes the Porsche Track Precision App, which allows you to clock lap times and collate driving stats, record and manage the results on your smartphone and share them with other drivers for comparison. The app makes use of GPS and high-precision data from the on-board computer and helps you to better your driving performance. Graphical and video analyses display every millisecond of your potential for improvement. Lap after lap.
So which Porsche models include Sport Chrono as an option? The following models:
- 718 Cayman
- 718 Boxster
To recap, Sport Chrono, now one of the most popular upgrades available for Porsche, features:
- A stopwatch mounted on the dashboard for a more upscale interior.
- Dynamic engine mounts for enhanced driving stability and comfort due to reduction in vibrations throughout the drivetrain.
- The steering wheel with a switch that allows the driver to change the performance profile of their vehicle within four modes: Normal, Sport, Sport Plus and Individual.
- Paired with the Porsche Doppelkupplung, the package introduces Launch Control, which gives the vehicle a racecar-like start function.
- Working with PDK provides unique and racing-derived gear-shifting strategies for the lightning-quick acceleration.
- A Sport Response that ramps up the engine and transmission to unleash maximum power for about 20 seconds – giving you incredible acceleration and responsiveness.
And now there’s even a collection of timepieces inspired by the Chrono Sports Package.
The Sport Chrono Collection of timepieces transforms the timeless design of Porsche automobile instruments into exclusive Subsecond and Chronograph watches.
With the Sport Chrono Collection of timepieces you can bring home the familiar 42 mm version, the Sport Chrono Subsecond watch is now also available with a case diameter of 39 mm. But no matter which model you choose: both sizes of the Subsecond watch bring the ultimate sports car feeling to your wrist.